As the director of CEDR and Clatsop Community College Small Business Development Center, we work with hundreds of businesses in Clatsop County. Finding and retaining good employees is a constant issue all businesses face, from small businesses all the way up to our largest employers in the county and region. CEDR has collaborated over the past two years with the local WorkSource Northwest Oregon office and many community volunteers to organize a Clatsop County High School Career and Job Fair. The event last year was very successful, with 68 companies participating, and over 550 students in attendance.
We received very positive evaluations from both the students and the employers!
This year, the event has been expanded to include the general public, and will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 22, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for our high school students, and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. for the general public at the Clatsop County fairgrounds.
Astoria, Jewell, Knappa, Seaside and Warrenton High Schools will be sending sophomores and juniors, with seniors also having the opportunity to participate. We estimate over 650 students will be in attendance.
In addition, we expect a large turnout from the general public; Clatsop Community College Students, active job seekers and those wanting to learn more about the career options in Clatsop County.
Four focus areas for employers:
1. Hiring now for immediate positions or for spring/summer jobs.
2. Looking for committed and skilled employees to fill career technical, “trades”, vocational, apprenticeship positions in our workforce.
3. Sharing career options in Clatsop County for our college-bound students, both at Clatsop Community College and four year colleges/universities. Many students are not aware of the diverse positions available in many industries in our own backyard, and we want our youth to come home after they graduate from college, or stay here after they graduate from Clatsop Community College.
4. Information and job/career opportunities for the general public.
60% career and 40% jobs
The theme of the career and job fair is 60 percent career and 40 percent jobs focus. We want to give the attendees an overview of the many industries and sectors that make up our local economy.
The target sectors are:
• Tourism & Hospitality
• Business, Banking, Finance & Professional Services
• Seafood Processing & Fishing
• Forest & Wood Products
• Health Care
• Law Enforcement
• Career Technical, Contracting & Trades
• Education & Government — Public Sector
• Military Options — Branches of the military
There is a comprehensive website at clatsopjobfair.com with detailed information about the career and job fair for students, parents of students, employers, and volunteers.
To register as an employer to participate in the career and job fair, call Linda Wyss at WorkSource Northwest Oregon office at 503-325-4821 ext. 234, or email Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org. This event is FREE. Employers are asked to register as soon as possible as the entire list of employers participating will be provided to the schools and to business organization in advance, and space is limited.
We are excited to highlight the vibrant and diverse job and career opportunities right here in Clatsop County!