Home News Free

Naselle school locked down; police chase nabs two men

Natalie St. John

Published on September 27, 2018 4:19PM

Last changed on September 27, 2018 4:27PM

NASELLE — Naselle School went on lockdown for 90 minutes on Thursday morning while law enforcement officers hunted for two fleeing suspects.

Around 9:51 a.m., the driver of a 2000 Chevy pickup blew past a Washington state trooper who was parked on the side of State Route 401. The trooper clocked the driver going 77 miles per hour in a 55 mile-per-hour zone, according to a State Patrol press release.

The trooper attempted to stop the northbound truck, but the driver allegedly ignored his lights and sirens, accelerating to 105 miles per hour as he entered the 45 mile-per-hour zone near town. The driver reportedly continued north and ran a stop sign. When he tried to turn left onto State Route 4, he lost control of the pickup and went into a ditch in front of Naselle School.

The driver and his passenger fled the scene on foot, heading in different directions. By that point, other troopers and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife officers had joined the pursuit. Troopers chased the driver, Justin Michael Forsman, 29, of Shelton, onto a grass field, where he was apprehended and placed under arrest. The passenger, Jordan Kay Kink, 31, of Burien, ran toward the school, went past the front entrance and continued onto SR4. Troopers and WDFW officers later found him near Torppa Road, south of the school, and arrested him without incident. Fink had five warrants, including one for a felony.

Police notified staff at Naselle Grays River Valley School District around 10 a.m. The administration quickly placed the school on lockdown. Students were relocated to the gym. While the pursuit continued outside, a WDFW captain went to the school and answered students’ questions about the incident. Superintendent Lisa Nelson could not be reached for comment on Thursday afternoon.

A deputy from Clatsop County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene of the crash with a drug-detecting dog. The dog indicated that there were drugs inside the truck. The press release did not say what kind of drugs the dog found. In the coming days, Pacific County Sheriff’s Office will continue the drug investigation.

Both men were booked into Pacific County Jail Thursday afternoon. Forsman is initially charged with eluding a police vehicle; no bail amount has been set. Fink is being held for another agency in lieu of $20,000 bond.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates later this week.


Share and Discuss


User Comments