Part 2 of a two-part series
EDITORS NOTE: This is the second half of historian Larry Weathers gazetteer of Pacific Countys cities, towns, centers or hubs of scattered rural communities, logging camps, ocean/bay/river resorts, ghost towns, and failed real estate sales schemes of historic interest.
This is an introduction to a series of forthcoming articles in the Chinook Observer that reprints and in some cases updates historical stories previously published in the Pacific County Historical Societys Souwester magazine. The member-supported society is a prime source of information about our areas extensive colorful past, among the richest historical legacies on the West Coast.
Visit the Pacific County Museum at 1008 West Robert Bush Drive in South Bend, open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. seven days a week. Call 875-5224 for more information. Individual memberships are $25 a year, payable to P.O. Box P, South Bend, WA 98586-0039.
NEW SARATOGA: Abandoned subdivision south of Oysterville on Sandridge Road. The Ilwaco railroad initially planned to build their Shoalwater Bay terminus at Oysterville in 1888. New Saratoga, overlooking Skating Lake, was to be a residential / resort addition to Oysterville and the actual terminal site. The name was taken from a popular upstate New York resort, Saratoga Springs. By the time Andrew and Wilhelmina Olsen got around to recording the plat of New Saratoga at the courthouse, June 19, 1890, the railroad had already decided against Oysterville in favor of Nahcotta. New Saratoga was never developed and the subdivision was abandoned.
NORTH COVE: Resort community on Highway 105 south of Grayland. The original site of North Cove was a sandy peninsula known as Cape Shoalwater, from 1884 to the 1960s. The peninsula was once the site of a town, lifesaving station and lighthouse. Severe beach erosion, over the course of a century, erased the original site in the 1960s. The name North Cove is now applied to the surrounding community of cranberry farms, resort businesses, and beach homes which crowd the landscape from Grayland to Tokeland. The town of North Cove was platted by Mrs. George (Lucy) Johnson in February 1884. The name was derived from the cove created by Cape Shoalwater peninsula. The post office department established an office at North Cove on June 10, 1878. The office was discontinued Aug.16, 1963, and mail was routed to Tokeland. The beach at North Cove is one of the best clam digging areas on the coast.
NORTH PACIFIC CITY: Abandoned real estate sales scheme established on the north shore of the Willapa River across from South Bend in 1889. During the years 1889-1891, excitement was generated on Shoalwater Bay and the Willapa River over rumors that three railroads were planning to terminate near the mouth of the river. One railroad grade was surveyed from Aberdeen to Ocosta and then down through North River/Smith Creek to Mailboat Slough on the south bend of the Willapa River. Horatio Duffy and his wife filed their plat of North Pacific City on Sept. 11, 1889. The town was laid out in 44 blocks with 60-foot-wide streets and 100-foot-wide avenues. Two large wharves were constructed and sites on the water were reserved for a shingle mill, glass factory, brewery, sawmill and railroad terminal. The railroad from Aberdeen/Ocosta was never built and the town was never developed. The plat was eventually considered an addition to South Bend and lots and blocks were sold for pastureland. (See Baleville and Willapacific. )
OCEAN PARK: Resort community at the north end of Highway 103 on the Long Beach Peninsula. Ocean Park was established as a camp meeting site by county Methodists and members of the old Taylor Street Methodist Church of Portland in 1883. Isaac A. Clark, co-founder of Oysterville, suggested to Portland Methodists that the concept of camp meetings and summer resort be combined. They liked the idea and formed a corporation under the laws of Oregon titled, The Ocean Park Camp Meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Rev. William B. Osborn, founder of a similar Methodist camp at Ocean Grove, N.J., was the associations guiding light. He had also lived in California where he participated in the formation of another camp association at Pacific Grove, near Monterey, in June 1875. Rev. Osborn chose the sight which originally encompassed 250 acres overlooking the Pacific Ocean on one side and Shoalwater Bay on the other. The name was suggested by the camps park setting overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The plat of Ocean Park was filed at the courthouse in Oysterville on Oct. 8, 1883. Association land on Shoalwater Bay was never subdivided. It was later sold to John Peter Paul, who filed the plat of Nahcotta in 1889. The association disbanded around 1888 and issued deeds to association members which contained prohibitions on the use and manufacture of intoxicating drinks, gambling and other immoral practices. The post office department established an office on June 28, 1890. Ocean Park, combined with Surfside, is the fastest growing area in Pacific County.
OCEANSIDE: Resort subdivision on Highway 103. George T. Eastabrooks (Easterbrook) settled on the site in October/November 1853. Richard Carruthers settled on land south of Eastabrooks in 1854. Both men filed Donation Land Claims which are now part of the various Oceanside subdivisions. The name was bestowed by developers of the first subdivision. Oceanside was an unscheduled Ilwaco railroad stop between 1908-1930.
OCEANVIEW: Early resort subdivision on Robert Gray Drive and Willows Road south of Seaview. Developers interested in attracting Oregon vacationers at the turn of the century named the subdivision Oceanview because of its location on a butte overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The Fishing Rocks in the tidal water below the butte were a favorite ocean fishing spot for many decades. Accretion has surrounded or covered the rocks in recent years. Ocean View was also the earliest name of Jonathan Stouts resort in 1880 at what became Seaview.
OYSTERVILLE: Early Shoalwater Bay settlement and former county seat of Pacific County (1855-93) at the north end of Sandridge Road (Territorial Road). Before the arrival of white settlers Oysterville was the site of an old Indian village. The Indian name for the site is Tsako-Te-Hahsh-Eetl (land of the red-topped grass). John Douglas, who filed a nearby Donation Land Claim in 1854, was one of the earliest settlers on Shoalwater Bay. The town of Oysterville was co-founded by Robert H. Espy and Isaac A. Clark in 1854. Chief Nahcati (there are several variations for the spelling of his name), who was the leader of the tribe living at Oysterville, told them of the abundance of oysters to be found near his village. Espy and Clark harvested the shellfish for shipment to San Francisco, where oysters were literally worth their weight in gold. It wasnt long before they were joined by others and the settlement became a town. An election moved the county seat from J. D. Holmans schoolhouse on Baker Bay to Oysterville in 1855. Another election in 1892 favored moving the county seat to South Bend. Rowdy South Bend residents, impatient with recalcitrant county commissioners, kidnapped courthouse records and moved everything to the other side of the bay in 1893. Oysterville slipped into a long sleep for several decades but was reborn in 1976 when it was declared an historic district and placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
PACIFIC CITY: Abandoned settlement and former county seat within Cape Disappointment military reservation on Baker Bay/Columbia River. In the fall of 1849 missionary Elijah White (who styled himself Dr.) took a Donation Land Claim on Baker Bay, subdivided his holdings, and advertised the availability of lots in the settlement he called Pacific City. About the same time, White was also trying to convince the federal government that his property should be part of the military reservation on the cape. White was ultimately successful in both promotions. He sold most of his subdivided property to unsuspecting settlers and was undoubtedly compensated for the loss of his DLC when the government announced the land was government property in 1852. During the intervening years Pacific City developed into a busy town with a sawmill, hotel, store, and dozens of houses. A post office was established Dec. 26, 1850, and shortly afterwards residents successfully petitioned the Oregon Territorial legislature to create Pacific County on Feb. 3, 1851. Pacific City was named the county seat. Commissioners meetings were held in any available building because there was no courthouse. Residents moved away from Pacific City after the government announced their property was within the boundaries of the military reservation in 1852. The last County Commissioner Journal entry was made at Pacific City Dec. 7, 1852. The county seat was moved to Chenook/ Chenookville. The post office was finally closed Nov. 3, 1856. By 1858, a Coast Survey report showed there were only two or three houses and a sawmill left standing in the settlement. In 1860 a new post office was established at Whealdons home on Bakers Bay (outside the government reservation) and the name Pacific City was retained at Whealdons home for sentimental reasons until 1865.
PACIFIC PARK: Resort subdivision between the Breakers and Cranberry Road on Highway 103. One of many resort subdivisions created by real estate promoters in the 1920s. The name was derived from the park-like setting in the dunes overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
PLEASANTVILLE: See Sweeneton.
PLUVIUS: Early railroad crew camp near the Pacific/Lewis county border on Highway 6. The name was bestowed by E. H. McHenry, chief engineer of the Northern Pacific Railroad, for Jupiter Pluvius. The Romans used the name Jupiter Pluvius for Jupiter as god of rain, wind and dark storm clouds. A railroad survey and construction crew camp was established near this summit in 1892 by the Yakima and Pacific Coast branch of the Northern Pacific Railroad. It rained incessantly during construction. When the camp moved toward South Bend, so did the population. Today, the sharp turn on Highway 6 is still called Pluvius Hill.
PORT WASHINGTON: Abandoned real estate sales scheme located at the junction of Ellsworth Slough and the Naselle River. Promoters subdivided the swampy river front property and built a hotel. The hotel was never occupied and investors eventually abandoned their investment. The name was suggested by the port setting and location within the state of Washington.
RAYMOND: A residential lumber town at the fork of the Willapa River on Highway 101. Captain John Vail took a Donation Land Claim on the Willapa River (Riverdale section of Raymond) in February 1853, after his ship, the Willimantic, wrecked off Grays Harbor. The homestead was known as the Home and Orchard of the Vail Family for many years after his death in 1856. In 1865, Dr. Edward T. Balch, retired English army surgeon, established his home on the South Fork of the Willapa River. Captain George Johnson bought the claim of the Perkins Brothers in 1875. Most of the Johnson property was muddy tideland but the high ground came to be known as Johnsons Island while the family lived there. In 1892-93, the Northern Pacific Railroad laid tracks over the mudflats below the island on the way to the terminus at South Bend. Stella (Johnson) Raymond moved back to her fathers property on the island (where she was born in 1875) with her husband Leslie V. Raymond in 1899. In 1902-03, Alexander C. Little (former mayor of Aberdeen 1893) rowed a boat to the tideflats at the forks of the Willapa and decided to promote a town there. He immediately set to work attracting Jacob Siler and W. S. Cram to the site to build a sawmill, and approached L. V. Raymond about selling portions of his father-in-laws old homestead. L. V. Raymond, who was already selling land, liked Littles enthusiasm and formed a company called the Raymond Land and Improvement Company (November 1903) to survey a townsite, sell property, build sawmills and encourage the location of other industries in the town. The post office department established an office Feb. 23, 1904, and named the office Raymond in honor of the first postmaster, L. V. Raymond. Later in the year, the improvement company filed a survey for the town of Raymond (October 1904). An election on August 4, 1907, approved incorporation of the town and A.C. Little was elected mayor. In the early years, Raymonds business section and part of the residential section, was built on stilts five or six feet above the tidelands and sloughs that crisscrossed the site. Elevated sidewalks and streets connected most of the buildings. Twice a day the tides washed away refuse under and around the town. In 1913, Raymond claimed a population of 6,000 and had a reputation as a wild and wooly lumber mill town. City fathers resisted the unwanted recognition with promotions of Raymond as The Empire City of Willapa Harbor, The City That Does Things, and the City of Smokestacks. Raymonds most active years were from 1912 to 1932, when 20 mills and factories lined the waterfront. In 1989, a single, high-technology sawmill dominates the Raymond waterfront and the city built on stilts was surrounded by a dike.
RIVERSIDE: An early settlement on the North Fork of the Willapa River (1871-96). The Haguet family was one of the first to settle on the North Fork (northeast Raymond, along the Monohon Landing Road) in the late 1860s. Around 1870, the Charles Barstow family moved to the area and was followed by several other families. The post office department established an office April 5, 1871, and named the settlement Riverside because of the waterfront location. Dairy farms, the Willapa Vitrified Brick Company (1891), and a sawmill owned by A. K. Bush, provided employment. The post office was discontinued Sept. 28, 1896, and the Riverside school was finally closed in 1907. After 1896, mail was distributed from South Bend until an office was established in Raymond (1904). Part of the Riverside settlement is within the northeast city limits of Raymond. (See Raymond.)
SALTAIR: Early resort subdivision between Seaview and Long Beach in the 1910s. Saltair was an unscheduled Ilwaco railroad stop, 1908-1930. The train stopped at the entrance to the grounds of the Saltair and Sunset hotels, which faced each other. The hotels were surrounded by trees and shrubs, with cozy nooks and hammocks beneath the spreading trees. Mrs. J. D. Portler managed Saltair Hotel and Mrs. W. H. Dedman managed the Sunset in 1909. The name was taken from the hotel which was a stones throw from the bathing beach.
SAWLOG SLOUGH: A floating logging camp on the east side of Long Island in the late 1890s. Sunshine Mill Company started logging the island in 1896. Loggers lived in a floating log house stationed on a slough they named Sawlog Slough. The slough is now called Baldwin Slough.
SCARBOROUGH HILL: Sometimes spelled Scarboro Hill. (See Fort Columbia.)
SEA HAVEN: Abandoned townsite on the south shore of the Willapa River, northwest of South Bend. The town of Sea Haven was established in 1889 on a tract of tideland belonging to Thomas Potter. The name was suggested by the pastoral setting and was devised to entice investors. The Sea Haven Land Company (Thomas Potter, William Potter, Herman Trott, John Dobson and others) was formed by land speculators who gambled on Sea Haven becoming the terminus of a railroad connection with the north shore of the Columbia River. In 1890, Sea Haven had a bank, a newspaper The Western World, a large hotel, several stores and residential dwellings. A post office was established Aug. 21, 1890. When the proposed railroad from the north shore of the Columbia River did not appear, the town failed and businesses moved to South Bend. The post office was closed Nov. 5, 1891. Sea Haven was an abandoned townsite by 1900.
SEALAND: Shoalwater Bay community on the northern border of Nahcotta in the early 1890s. The name was derived from the waterfront location of the town. (See Nahcotta.)
SEAVIEW: Resort community at the junction of Highway 101 and 103. The man who named and platted Seaview was Jonathan L. Stout, who came to the Peninsula around 1859 and settled in the town of Unity. In 1880, Stout purchased 153.5 acres of ocean beach frontage for a summer resort. To begin with, he called his resort Stouts, then Ocean View, and next he tried North Pacific Beach. He finally settled on the name Sea View in 1881 and recorded his townsite at the courthouse on Oct. 6, 1881. The name was derived from the ocean view. Before the beach accreted the ocean was almost at the doorstep of Stouts hotel Sea View House. In 1888, the tracks of the Ilwaco railroad reached Seaview and a shed/waiting platform was erected near the hotel. The first regular train service began in May 1889. The train increased the flow of summer visitors and Seaview was one of the favorite spots to stop and pitch a tent on the beach. Stouts hotel burned in 1892, and he never recovered financially, but the resort was a success and the 50 x 100 lots sold quickly (most cost $100 each). The post office department established an office in Seaview on April 30, 1907. Seaview is a popular resort community and the favorite of tourists who enjoy walking narrow streets looking at historic beach cottages.
SHOALWATER BAY RESERVATION: An Indian reservation at the junction of Highway 105 and Tokeland Road. The 334.75-acre reservation was established by executive order on Sept. 22, 1866, for 30 or 40 Indian families living on Shoalwater Bay (now Willapa Bay). Their ancestors were primarily Chinook and Chehalis Indians. The family of Chief George A. Charley has been prominent in tribal affairs for several generations. The reservation is commonly called Georgetown.
SMITH CREEK: Abandoned homesteads on Highway 105 near the confluence of North River, Salmon Creek and Smith Creek. The first group of settlers at the confluence of the three streams were employees and families of George Watkins, who built a sawmill on North River and Salmon Creek around 1852. Mill employees moved away when a lawsuit between Watkins and his partner, David K. Weldon, and an epidemic in 1853 (which took the lives of several people including Watkins wife and daughter) closed the mill. Valentine S. Riddell filed a Donation Land Claim on North River in the spring of 1853, and tried to re-establish the mill, but eventually moved to Bruceport. Almoran Smith and his two sons, Isaac and Amos, were the next families to move to the confluence of the three streams with their families in autumn 1853. Almoran filed a Donation Land Claim the same year, and his son Amos filed a claim in 1855. Isaac took homestead land several years later. Almoran and his sons engaged in fishing and cattle raising and at one point mined a vein of coal in the hillside near Smith Creek. Around 1900, P. J. McGowan and F. C. Barnes had fish traps, as well as receiving and packing stations, on North River. The catch was found to be of poor quality and the stations were eventually closed. Amos Smith moved to San Francisco before 1900 and Isaacs son Alma Smith inherited all of the family holdings. He left the isolated river settlement after the death of his wife in 1907. In 1910, Captain Jimmie Johnson, who towed logs from North River to South Bend, was reported to be the last man living on the Lower North River.
SMOKEY HOLLOW: Abandoned homestead on the southwest shore of Long Island. The hollow is named for Smoky Johnson who had a house there. The site is now a primitive campsite, accessible only by boat. Campers can view elk, black bear, deer, blue heron, band-tailed pigeons, blue and ruffed grouse, and raccoons in the forest surrounding the site. A protected grove of western red cedars, thought to be the last remnant of what was once a coastal forest of such trees, stands nearby. Scientists believe trees have been sprouting, growing, dying, decaying and sprouting again in the grove for the past 4,000 years. Some of the cedars are estimated to be 400 years old. The grove has remained undisturbed by windstorms, fire and the loggers ax.
SOUTH BEND: The county seat of Pacific County on Highway 101 overlooking the Willapa River. South Bend was named for the south bend in the Willapa River. The town had its beginnings in 1869 when the Riddell brothers (Valentine S. and John) built a sawmill on the bend. At first, the mill operated seasonally as a lumber camp, the crew returning to their homes when orders were filled. When the mill was sold to A.M. Simpson and partners in 1874, there were over a dozen families living on the tidelands and hills surrounding the mill. The settlement was officially named South Bend on May 12, 1875, when a post office was established. The name was suggested by John Wood, manager of the mill and the first postmaster. Wood heard Captain Will Whitcomb remark that no matter how he maneuvered the winding curves of the river, his compass always read south. In April 1890, the South Bend Land Company signed a contract with the Northern Pacific Railroad, donating half of the property the company owned to the railroad. The railroad announced that South Bend would be the ocean terminus of their Yakima and Pacific Coast branch line. The local chamber of commerce and South Bend Land Company expansively promoted the town as the future Baltimore of the Pacific. Although the railroad was completed in 1892 and South Bend benefited, the Panic of 1893 ended the Baltimore dream. South Bend was incorporated as a town Sept. 15, 1890, and became the county seat in 1893. The courthouse on South Bends Quality Hill was built in 1910-11, ending rumors that the courthouse was going to be moved to Raymond. South Bend has been the home of Pacific County Historical Society and Museum since 1969.
STANLEY: Early real estate promotion on Stanley Point at the mouth of the Naselle River. The town of Stanley was to be the terminus of the Stanley, Cascade and Eastern Railroad (incorporated November 1890) in the 1890s. Charles M. Holm visualized a great seaport city at the mouth of the Naselle (Nasel) River overlooking Shoalwater (Willapa) Bay. He filed a claim on 160 acres of government land in the 1870s and eventually formed his company in 1890. Members of the S. C. & E. R. R. company included Holm, three U.S. Senators, a railroad president, a railroad supervisor-engineer, and a Lewis County banker. Holm gave two-thirds of his homestead to the company for the townsite. A hotel, wharf and several homes were erected and streets laid out. Stanley was promoted as The Seattle of Shoalwater Bay, but its life was brief. Promoters and some of the partners bilked Holm and other stockholders. Holm brought suit against them but lost. The townsite is still known as Stanley Point. (See Napoleon.)
STRINGTOWN: Rural community of homes and farms between the Wallicut (Wallacut) and Chinook Rivers on Stringtown Road. (See Sweeneton.)
SUNSHINE: Abandoned sawmill settlement on the north shore of the Naselle River opposite Stanley Point. Access to the riverfront town was by boat. The mill and many of the houses were built on a sawdust landfill in the tidal wetlands. A few homes were built on the hillsides surrounding the village. The name Sunshine was chosen in March 1884 by Robert Miller, the first postmaster. Miller was a partner in the Sunshine Lumber Mill, a Coos Bay, Ore., company. Sunshine Mill failed around 1902 when one of the partners died and the heirs fought over the company. The town eventually disappeared from local maps.
SUTICO: A logging camp in the Willapa Hills, 1918-29. Located on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad route from Chehalis to Raymond. Sutico is a composite of the name Sunset Timber Company, which owned and operated the camp. The post office at Firdale was moved to Sutico on Dec. 6, 1918, and delivered mail to loggers and their families until Aug. 31, 1929. Loggers and their families lived in the camp year around. School was open when the number of children in camp warranted it.
SURFSIDE: Resort subdivision overlooking the Pacific Ocean north of Ocean Park. Surfside was platted as Surfside Estates, a residential community, in the mid-1960s. A shopping mall, real estate office, restaurant, golf course, several condominiums, and more than 200 permanent and summer homes dot the landscape in this three-mile long community. Surfside is the newest community in the county and, coupled with Ocean Park, is the fastest-growing community in the county.
SWEENETON: Abandoned townsite on Stringtown Road overlooking Baker Bay/Columbia River (1890s). William P. Edwards settled on the site around 1850 and took the land as his Donation Land Claim. Early travelers said that Edwards had a ninepin alley set up at his home for entertainment. He was later murdered (around October 1863) by his wife and her boyfriend. Samuel Sweeney and the Timmen Brothers were also early residents in the area. On Sept. 24, 1892, Samuel and Harriet Sweeney filed the plat of Sweeneton on their homestead overlooking Bakers Bay. The town failed and was vacated by the county in 1898. For several decades, thereafter, the scattered settlement of farms was known as Pleasantville. The name was suggested by the pleasant view of Baker Bay and the Columbia River. Andrew and Josephine Johnson subdivided their land near the Chinook River in 1913, creating long, narrow strips of property with bay frontage and upland pasture. The elongated lots, which stretched out along a country road, suggested a new name for the rural community Stringtown. Stringtown Road is still the name of the rural road running through the area. Vandalia, named for the American bark that washed ashore north of Cape Disappointment in 1853, is the newest residential subdivision at the west end of Stringtown Road.
SWEM: A logging camp in the Willapa Hills in the 1920s. Located at the junction of Elk and Swem creeks on the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad route from Chehalis to Raymond. Swem was one of the short-lived logging camps operated by the Raymond Lumber Company around 1925. The Willapa Harbor Pilot (South Bend) announced the opening of a new camp on Swim Creek in 1924. All other sources call the camp and creek Swem. The derivation of the name Swem is unknown.
TERRA MAR: Abandoned real estate sales scheme north of Oysterville on Willapa Bay. Terra Mar land by the sea was planned as an ocean / bay recreation and retirement community in 1968. The development was to include 1,400 acres of ocean front beach homes, interior lakeside lots, bayside marina, condominiums, riding stables, airport, shopping center, clubs, and a boat canal system linking all areas in a world where land and water are the basis of all wealth. Terra Mar, a division of Sherwood Pacific, Inc., a Spokane company, surveyed and filed several plats at the county courthouse in September 1968 and paid for an expensive advertisement campaign which attracted several thousand investors. But Terra Mar land by the sea was actually land under the bay. Attempts to dike tidal wetlands along the bay, and dig canals in the peaty soil, were a bust. The dike could not hold back floodwater in 1974 and the normal high water table ended water pipe and canal construction. Terra Mar lot owners attempted to recover their investments, but the developers announced bankruptcy and cleared out. Nature has reclaimed the marsh and tidal wetlands but traces of the disintegrating dike and canal system still blight the landscape.
TARLITT: An early portage settlement located near the junction of Tarlatt and Sandridge roads. Tarlatt is the modern spelling (also spelled: Talitt, Tarlilt, Tahlilt, Tarlett) of a Chinook Indian word, the meaning of which is now forgotten. Tarlatt Slough was a portage for the Chinook Indians of the Lower Columbia River. They packed their canoes from Bakers Bay to Black Lake, paddled to the north end of the lake, transported their canoes across the marshes at the north end of the lake until they came to deep water in Tarlatt Slough and paddled to the outlet on Shoalwater Bay. The portage was also used by Hudsons Bay Company employees exploring the area in 1824 and settlers as early as 1849. William Martindill (1851), Jehu Scudder (1853), Charles J. Sperry (1853), and John Crellin, Sr. (1854), filed Donation Land Claims near the bay outlet of Tarlatt Slough. The post office department established an office at Tarlitt on May 31, 1854, and named Thomas Martin postmaster. Martin filed a D. L. C. in 1854, as his neighbors had done, but he never completed the filing and it was canceled. Martin left the area when the post office was closed Nov. 2, 1855. George Baker and family moved to Tarlitt around 1861 and bought the Scudder claim in 1867. Bakers home was a popular stopover for travelers for many decades.
TIOGA: Resort subdivision and Ilwaco railroad station at the north boundary of the town of Long Beach in the 1890s and early 1900s. The Tioga Hotel was the main focus of the resort and gave the railroad station its name. The surrounding beach was lined with vacation cottages and tents. J. M. Arthur, proprietor of the hotel, later built the Breakers Hotel (north of the Tioga Hotel) in 1901. Tioga is an Iroquois word, meaning where it forks. The hotel and station are long gone. Tioga is now within the city limits of Long Beach. The name is no longer found on maps.
TINKERVILLE: See Long Beach.
TOKELAND: A bay resort community on Toke Point peninsula south of the junction of Highway 105 and the Tokeland road. Tokeland was named for an Indian chief who lived there when the first white settlers entered the bay. Toke was a man of great importance among the local Indians during his youth. In old age he and his wife Suis were good friends of James G. Swan, who learned a great deal about tribal life on the bay from him. The George Brown family was the first white family to settle on the point (1858). The Tokeland Hotel, Rustic Hotel, an artesian mineral spring, and other resort facilities, made Tokeland a popular ocean resort, 1890-1940. A post office was established at Tokeland on Aug. 22, 1894. California developers created subdivisions in the 1910s with names reminiscent of Los Angeles communities: Venice, Santa Monica, and Hollywood. Tokeland is a resort community with a cannery, port facility and small crabbing and fishing fleet.
TRAP CREEK: A logging camp on Trap Creek in the 1910s and 20s. The logging camp was owned and operated by the Quinault Lumber Company of Raymond. The camp took its name from Trap Creek. Some residents say the name Trap Creek was derived from the fact that both Indians and white settlers trapped animals in the vicinity. Others say that John Louderback and Job Lamley were blazing a trail from Naselle-Grays River to Willapa Valley when Lamley got his foot caught in the branches of a vine maple. Louderback, Lamleys brother-in-law, gave the name Trap Creek to the stream.
UNITY: See Ilwaco.
WALVILLE: Abandoned sawmill town on Highway 6 at the Pacific/Lewis County border. Walville was a border town sawmill straddling the county line, 1902-1931. Some years it was counted in the Pacific County census and other years it was counted in Lewis County. The mill was operated by Walworth and Neville Manufacturing Company, Lumber Mill & General Merchandise. The post office was established June 3, 1903, in the company store. Postal officials combined the names of the store owners to produce the name of the town. In the 1910s and 20s the mill employed over 100 men. The town that grew up around the mill and store had a separate population of Japanese mill-hands and their families. Jap Town was north of the mill, Dago Town was south of the mill, Cow Town was west of the mill, and Big Bug Town (where all the rich people lived) was on the Lewis County side of the mill. The mill burned to the ground in 1930, the post office closed Feb. 29, 1936, and Walville disappeared thereafter.
WILLAPA: Early county settlement at the junction of the Willapa River and Wilson Creek. The name Willapa was taken from the river on which it is located. The town was originally called Woodards Landing. Samuel S. Woodard came to the Willapa Valley in 1852, took up a Donation Land Claim at the junction of the river and creek in January 1853, and built a landing for Portland steamers carrying mail, freight, and new