A 593-acre day-use historical park, Fort Columbia is a perfect place to spend an afternoon with a picnic lunch and an appetite for history and beauty.
Before Fort Columbia was constructed in 1896, Chinook Point was home to the famous Chinook Chief Comcomly and later for the fur-trade entrepreneur Captain James Scarborough. This exposed hillside with an amazing view was valuable for many reasons throughout the last 200 years; today it is a priceless remnant of coastal defense history. Three forts were built at the mouth of the Columbia River and Fort Columbia remains the most intact.
The historic barracks building has been converted into a large interpretive center with exhibits focusing on the construction and operation of Fort Columbia. The Commanding Officers Quarters has been restored to its turn of the century appearance, both outside and in, completely furnished with period appropriate antiques. Call 360-642-3029 for more information. Outdoor interpretive panels can be found near the gun batteries and other structures which help to explain how the fort operated.
Fort Columbia is open daily during the summer months.
Most of the state park is preserved as a naturally forested area. Five miles of hiking trails wind through the woods.