LONG BEACH — There once were dozens of salmon canneries from Hammond to Clifton and Ilwaco to Eagle Cliff. They were key to the Columbia estuary’s early economy and settlement.

Often the only tangible things that remain are the can labels they used. Some are quite common, but others are extremely rare.

In honor of ocean salmon season, Chinook Observer editor Matt Winters is sharing images of some scarce labels he has come across in decades of collecting.

This is the second set of many in a series he may continue making available if people indicate they enjoy them.

These originate on both sides of the Lower and Mid-Columbia and date from around 1882 to about 1910.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.