LONG BEACH, Wash - Clam diggers Monday got the go-ahead to proceed with the second razor-clam dig of the fall season starting this week.
Additional digging opportunities are planned in December.
Four evening digs are scheduled at Copalis and Mocrocks Nov. 13-16, while Long Beach and Twin Harbors are scheduled for three evening digs Nov. 14-16. Digging will be restricted to the hours between noon and midnight.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife approved the digs at the four beaches after a series of marine toxin tests confirmed the clams were safe to eat.
Dan Ayres, WDFW coastal shellfish manager, suggests that clam diggers take lights or lanterns with them due to the times of the low tides. He also recommends checking weather and surf forecasts before heading out.
Harvesters are allowed to take no more than 15 razor clams and must keep the first 15 they dig, regardless of size or condition. Each digger's clams must be kept in a separate container.
A license is required for anyone age 15 or older. Any 2008 annual shellfish/seaweed license or combination fishing license is valid. Another option is a razor-clam only license available in annual or three-day only versions. Descriptions of the various licensing options are available on the WDFW website at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov . Clam diggers are not required to display their licenses on outer clothing.
Ayres said more harvest dates would be announced following the December opener.
Kalaloch Beach in Olympic National Park will remain closed at least until spring 2009, said Karen Gustin, ONP superintendent.
"Kalaloch was closed for the entire season last year because the clam population was so low," Gustin said. "But there is a population of small clams now at Kalaloch that may grow to harvestable size by spring."
WDFW and ONP jointly manage the recreational razor clam fishery at Kalaloch.