LONG BEACH — A recreational vehicle being used as a primary residence on the 1200 block of 49th Street in Long Beach caught fire due to an electrical problem at 3:30 a.m. Thursday. One person was in the RV at the time, but got out without suffering injury, according to Pacific County Fire District No. 1, which was first on the scene.

Responders extinguished the fire within five minutes, using less than 100 gallons of water, but the RV is too damaged to continue being used as a dwelling. A lot of possessions were safely removed. The RV was parked close to a house, but the house was never in danger of catching fire. Long Beach Volunteer Fire Department also responded.

Disaster action team volunteers with the American Red Cross on Thursday afternoon chipped in by providing lodging, food, comfort kits and recovery information.

The Red Cross advocates emergency preparedness and offers the installation of free smoke alarms in communities across Oregon and Southwest Washington. Residents may call 503-528-5783 to schedule an appointment.

“Know what to do before, during and after a home fire,” Red Cross urges. “Take a few moments to review your family’s exit plan should there be a fire in your home. This information, and more, is available at www.redcross.org or in a free Prepare! Resource Guide published by the American Red Cross Cascades Region.” The guide can be downloaded at http://rdcrss.org/1zq8XW6.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.