OCEAN PARK — Firefighters with Pacific County’s Fire District #1 responded to a report of a school bus on fire in Ocean Park around 7:30 a.m. Dec. 2.

The small dashboard fire had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived — about five minutes after they’d been called out — and the kids aboard the bus were in a single file line waiting to board another bus. No one was injured.

According to Chief Jacob Brundage, the small Ocean Beach School District bus had stopped to pick up a student near 275th and “V” Street when smoke and fire started coming out around the dashboard. Other children were on the bus at the time. The bus driver got them off the bus and a bystander put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.

Fire District #1 responders were originally directed to go to 311th and “M” Street but were redirected to the scene at 275th seconds later. The fire is believed to have been caused by electrical problems with the bus.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.