Olympic Area Agency on Aging - Senior Information & Assistance: Aging & long-term care issues

By Doug Sheaffer

  Case Manager

OK, let's review. There are programs available for Medicaid eligible folks who also have personal care needs.

Another way we've put it: If you require assistance with daily living tasks (bathing, ambulation, transfer, personal hygiene, etc) and are low-income, you may be eligible for in-home care programs. In-home care allows a caregiver to come to your home and assist you according to your needs. This may be either a caregiver from an in-home care agency, or an individual provider (IP) who would be contracted through the state, but your employee. Either way, schedules are worked out according to what works best for you. (And remember: There are also facilities available if home is no longer an option. Remember adult family home and assisted living options.)

These caregiver services are also available on a private-pay basis if you are ineligible for Medicaid. If you, or someone you know, is in this position, all kinds of questions pop up: "If I hire someone on my own, how do I know I can trust them?" or the ever-popular "Where do I start and what do I do?" It can be a scary situation to suddenly need help, but not have any family or friends who can help long-term. Give us a call. We have an excellent booklet entitled "How to Hire In-Home Help" that tells you, well, how to hire in-home help! (Maybe not the most imaginative title, but it is a most informative booklet.) This is published by our agency and free for the asking.

Whether you are going to pay privately, or you are eligible for Medicaid programs, this information is not only valuable, but presented in a practical manner. Categories range from Medicare-covered home health services to interviewing an individual provider; from developing a job description to obtaining a background check. It also includes contact numbers and a section on ethical considerations and abuse prevention. At only 23 pages, it's a small booklet with a ton of information.

The best time to get a feel for all of these issues is prior to the crisis. Think of it as looking ahead; or as good information in case you run into someone who may be "getting there." Give us a call, pick one up or request we mail it to you. It's a great resource.

Senior Information & Assistance

Ilwaco: 642-3634/(888) 571-6558

Raymond: 942-2177/(888) 571-6557

Agency on Aging to meet

VANCOUVER - The Olympic Area Agency on Aging Council of Governments meeting will be held from 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 5 at the Red Lion Inn in Vancouver.

The agenda will include approval of the 2002-03 state/federal contract. The meeting is open to the public.

Occasionally these meetings will be changed to a conference call on short notice, so if you would like to participate, please call Carol Ann Laase at (360) 379-5064 or (800) 801-0050 for updated information.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.