A Seaside man will serve jail time for severely beating a Washington man at a New Year's Party in 2009.

Karl L. Dugan, 23, was sentenced Wednesday morning to 30 days in jail with credit to time served beginning Tuesday, Feb.23. He had already spent a little under a month in the Clatsop County jail prior to sentencing.

Circuit Court Judge Paula Brownhill accepted his guilty plea to fourth-degree assault and menacing.

Jail time will be followed by an 18-month probationary period.

In the early morning of Jan.1, 2009, Derek Johnson, 23, of Pacific County arrived at Dugan's house for the continuation of a New Year's Eve party. Johnson left that party for a while to return to another person's party at a different house, but returned to Dugan's residence under the impression that he was being offered a place to spend the night.

According to the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office incident report, on his arrival, Johnson was shoved into a back room at Dugan's house. Dugan put a gun to his head and, according to Johnson, several people in the room attacked him, beating him severely. When Johnson saw an opportunity to escape, he ran into the woods.

Dugan is a sergeant in the U.S. Army and has spent 15 months in Iraq.

Johnson is the son of Washington State Patrol Trooper Scott Johnson, who was shot in the head and injured Saturday, and was only released from the hospital Monday. Both Johnsons were present at the sentencing and gave statements during the proceedings.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.