Huge need for a skilled nursing facility on Peninsula As the certified long-term care ombudsman currently assigned to all of the long-term care facilities on the Long Beach Peninsula, I have first-hand knowledge of the impact of Ocean View Convalescent Center's closure. The Chinook Observer's reporting of a recent city council meeting was a bit erroneous and I'd like to take this opportunity to clear up any misunderstanding.

On Feb. 4, the article stated I told the mayor and city council that there were other skilled nursing facilities on the Peninsula. I did not say that and the Observer said they will run a correction in today's paper. What I did say was that Ocean View is the only skilled nursing facility on the Peninsula and that some of the residents at Ocean View may have care needs that can be met at the other types of long-term care facilities right here on the Peninsula. These other facilities are adult family homes (there are five of them in our area) and boarding homes, more commonly known as assisted living facilities (there are two of them on the Peninsula). Additionally, I did tell the mayor and city council members that I disagreed with Life Care's assertion that OVCC is closing "because of considerable lack of demand." I believe that there is a huge need for a skilled nursing facility here and that as the population ages the demand will grow.

If you are looking for long-term care facility for yourself or a loved one it is important to note that all inspections done by DSHS are public information. Every facility is required by law to place the inspection results in their facility for the public to read.

For more information regarding skilled nursing facilities only, you can go to There is nursing home compare information including survey data, quality measures, complaint investigation findings and a new five-star rating system.

For information about adult family homes and boarding homes you can go to You can also call the long-term Care ombudsman at 800-562-6028 or go to

If you suspect abandonment, abuse, financial exploitation or neglect in a nursing home, adult family home, or boarding home, you can make an anonymous call to CRU (Complaint Resolution Unit) toll-free at 800-562-6078.

If you suspect abuse, neglect or exploitation of a vulnerable adult not living in a facility you may anonymously call APS (Adult Protective Services) at 877-734-6277.

Jan Worrell


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.