The Ocean Park Food Bank has found a new home! After many months of uncertainty, the food bank has reached an agreement with Don Sheldon (owner of Doc's Tavern) and his father, Dick, to lease the property formerly known as Bernie's Restaurant.
Don and Dick have completed extensive renovation to allow us a basic but very usable location where we can combine our warehouse and food bank in one place. Having all of our inventory in one location will make our work much more efficient. Our new address is 1601 Bay Ave., just two blocks east of our present food bank.
We are renting a portable cooler from Dale Jacobson of Active Enterprises. We plan to move into our new location by Nov. 1. We will be greatly assisted in our move through the generous donation of a truck and movers provided by Harbor Pacific Bottling. Oman &?Son has provided needed building materials at a generous discount.
Peninsula residents, fraternal orders and businesses have always been very supportive of the food bank. The food bank board is very conscientious about spending our funds in the most frugal manner. For a variety of reasons our fixed costs have gone up dramatically: prior to September 2009, two people were donating $400 a month to pay our rent. We now pay for garbage service; $500 for our yearly liability insurance premium; for the rental of a cooler; and for a much larger facility to replace a rent-free warehouse which needed extensive repair.
With our new facility, we look forward to serving residents of the peninsula for a very long time. We greatly appreciate the continued support of the community.
Ocean Park Food Bank