On Tuesday, Aug. 14, I had a fire in my garage and was lucky the whole house did not burn down. I discovered a pile of smoldering ashes in the middle of my garage and found ashes all over my two autos. Fortunately, the fire was confined to an area of the concrete floor and burned an empty cardboard box and scorched some plastic boxes.

I couldn't believe how this fire started as I had no fire starters around and don't smoke. With the help of a Pacific County deputy, we thought that maybe my jug of emergency water acted as a magnifying glass. The garage faces west and Tuesday's sun was very powerful about 6 p.m. Today, I tried an experiment and within four minutes had cardboard close to flames. The pictures show how the jug concentrates the sunlight and any flammable material close to it can ignite.

I urge the readers to watch out for this condition and store any water jugs away from direct sunlight. I was lucky this time.

Bob Cline

Klipsan Beach

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.