OCEAN SHORES — North Beach, after trailing by 16 in the second half, had possession while down by just four in the final minute, but Ilwaco held on for the 60-54 win Friday, Jan. 26. The Fishermen kept their composure as the Hyaks took out their frustration in the closing seconds; Ilwaco shot six consecutive free throws with 21.7 seconds remaining.

North Beach went scoreless in the first 6:28, as Ilwaco opened on an 11-0 run that turned out to be the difference in the game. Tenyson Ramsey came off the bench to score seven straight Ilwaco points during one stretch of the first quarter, and the Fishermen led 17-7 after one. Daniel Whiting added seven in the second to help extend the lead to 31-20.

The Fishermen scored 21 of their first 37 points on three-pointers. They hit just five of 18 in the first half, but it was enough to help them to a comfortable lead. Triples by Whiting and John Glenn to start the third extended the lead to 37-23. After that point, Ilwaco went inside much more, attempting only one three the rest of the game. Reese Tynkila’s baseline drive extended Ilwaco’s lead to 43-27, matching its largest margin of the game.

Ilwaco still had a comfortable lead at 55-42 after Whiting’s jumper from the high post with 2:51 remaining. North Beach responded with a quick scoring spree; Steven Sotomish put back a missed three-pointer to cut it to 55-49 with well over a minute remaining.

North Beach created chaos with its press. Rodney Washington intercepted an Alex Kaino pass, but Carlos Robles missed an open three with a chance to make it a one-possession game with 1:10 to go. On its next possession, Ilwaco broke the press, but Washington blocked Ramsey from behind, leading to two free throws from Sotomish at the other end to cut it to 55-51. Calvin Baze threw away a sideline-out-of-bounds pass, but North Beach missed an easy shot that would have cut it to two.

When Ilwaco got the ball back, with a four-point lead and just over 30 seconds left, North Beach had several fouls to give. Hyak fouls, gradually becoming harder, forced sideline in-bound passes, but Ilwaco took care of the ball. Finally, a foul put Baze at the line with 21.7 seconds left. He hit both free throws, then was fouled again on the box-out.

“Their guy started talking smack to me, then I talked some smack at him, and he came over and kind of hit me after the free throw,” a grinning Baze said after the game. Right after Baze hit one of two for a seven point lead, rhetorical excesses got the Hyaks charged with a technical foul, which the Fishermen celebrated exuberantly (John Glenn missed both free throws.) After a meaningless three-pointer by Noah Charley with 2.1 seconds left, Sotomish arm-chopped Tynkila on the in-bounds catch. Ostensibly, he was still fouling to stop the clock, but the hit was hard enough that he was penalized with an intentional foul. Tynkila hit both free throws, ending the drama, and the game.

Whiting finished with 14 points, while Tynkila added 12 points and nine rebounds. Kaino had six assists.

RAYMOND — Trailing 43-40 in the fourth quarter, Ilwaco responded with a 14-2 run to take control in a 56-50 win over Raymond. Reese Tynkila scored eight points on four-of-five shooting in the fourth quarter. John Glenn also scored eight in the final period, burying two three-pointers on no-look passes from Calvin Baze.

Raymond took an 18-13 first quarter lead, combining easy baskets in the paint with back-to-back three-pointers by Kaci Phansisay. Ilwaco’s defense turned things around drastically to start the second quarter, forcing turnovers on three straight possessions, the last a Taevon Hubbard charge into John Glenn. Ilwaco quickly went ahead 19-18. A Daniel Whiting fade-away sent Ilwaco into half-time with a 29-25 lead.

With the game tied at 33, Ilwaco went to a 3-2 zone late in the third quarter. Initially, Raymond was hesitant against the zone and repeatedly turned the ball over. The Seagulls adjusted, hitting a few open shots to go ahead 43-40, but Ilwaco stuck with the zone and the Seagulls began missing from long-range.

Tynkila started Ilwaco’s run with a turnaround shot off a spin move to cut the lead to 43-42. On the next possession, defenders collapsed on Baze as he drove to the right of the key. Baze’s eyes and head faced the basket, leaving the defense no warning that his mind was on Glenn in the corner. Glenn caught the no-look pass and hit the completely open shot for a two-point lead. Glenn fed a cutting Tynkila for a four-point lead, then got to the basket on a Tynkila screen and scored to make it 49-43.

Tynkila answered a Raymond basket, scoring on a move in the post to restore a six-point lead with 1:43 to go. Baze made another no-look pass to Glenn, on action identical to what they had run minutes earlier, getting the same result as Glenn buried the wide-open three-pointer for a 54-45 lead with just 52.2 seconds to go.

Tynkila finished with 17 points, Glenn with 10, and Alex Kaino with 11. Baze had 12 assists, eight rebounds and eight points.

Ilwaco will close out its regular season at home against Northwest Christian (3-11 in league play) at 5:45 p.m. on Friday. Ilwaco is 11-8 overall, 10-5 in league play, solidly in fourth place. They could finish third if Chief Leschi loses to Willapa Valley and Raymond. Ilwaco boys are ranked 19th statewide among 2B schools.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.